Posted on Tuesday November 08, 2016
Kitchener city council has approved Kitchener Utilities natural gas rate changes effective January 1, 2017.
The rate changes include:
- Supply rate decrease from 10.5 to 9.5 cents per cubic metre
- Transportation rate increase from 4.0 to 5.0 cents per cubic metre
- For M1 customers, delivery rate decrease to 6.9890 cents per cubic metre
- For M2 customers, reducing the delivery rate tiers to one tier to 6.1873 cents per cubic metre
*NEW* Introduction of Ontario Cap and Trade Charge
- In compliance with provincial legislation, KU is required to purchase natural gas emission allowances for its customers. KU will recover these costs through a new cap and trade charge on your bill.
- New Ontario Cap and Trade charge to be included is 3.5647 cents per cubic metre. This will be included within the delivery rate on your bill.
For the average residential customer, the combined impact of this rate change is net zero from KU. The introduction of the Ontario Cap and Trade charge is expected to produce an increase of 10% or approximately $71 per year for the average residential system gas customer.*
*The average residential customer uses 2,100 cubic metres of natural gas annually
Kitchener Utilities goal is to meet our customers’ expectations by providing natural gas supply with stable pricing. To achieve this goal, KU takes a disciplined approach to buying natural gas. We do not make a profit on our natural gas supply and transportation programs. They are operated at cost. Customers on our supply program pay what we pay our suppliers – without any mark-up or discount – and all our customers pay the same price.
Information is available upon request by contacting Kitchener Utilities at email@example.com